Friday, May 11, 2012

My Best Friend: My Mom


MOTHER'S DAY is in a couple of days. If you can, take the opportunity to thank your mom or a motherly figure in your life for the amazing people that they are and have become. I wish I could hug my mom in person and tell her how much she means to me. The Pacific Ocean is the only thing that stands in our way. ;0)

To the most wonderful woman I know,

I am the luckiest girl in the world to have been able to have Doris Mathilde Emilie Sophie Tegetmeier Prusse in my life. Yes, she does have 4 middle names. Words cannot describe how much I love and adore my mom. She is such a ray of sunshine and the biggest sweetheart that I know. She never fails to look on the bright side and lift all of those around her. If I can be even just 10% of the woman that she is, I will be satisfied. My mom is literally an angel sent from above to help guide our family. She has unwavering strength and determination to be the best person that she can be. There has never been a moment in my life that I did not know that my mom loved me, supported me, and wanted me to reach greater heights.

Some of my favorite memories with my mom is just sitting on the couch or on her bed and just talking. She is the best listener and I can tell her anything my heart feels even if it is not something most people would even dare to share how they really feel. She never judges and gives council with love.

Everyone loves my mom. Friends in high school and college would always tell me how much they wanted to go to my house. It wasn't because we had a pool table, pool, or 4 wheelers. It was because of the love that my mom gives to everyone who enters our home. Even people she really should despise, she still welcomes them and chooses to be the better person.

The greatest lesson I ever learned from my mom is perseverance. She never gives up. She is a fighter. She is strong. She doesn't take no or impossible for an answer. I remember my mom sharing these experiences with me when I went to college and it has forever stayed with me. My mom was an immigrant from Germany. She remembers seeing her file from elementary school and reading the teachers comments about how she struggled learning English. When she got into BYU her family had very little means to be able to support her throughout college. Her parents wrote her a letter after her first semester at BYU to tell her that they could no longer support her financially at all through college. She got two jobs and paid for it all by herself. Not to mention that she also double majored in Elementary Education and Childhood Development/Family Therapy, finishing in three years. She married my dad, Pherrel, and supported him throughout the rest of  his schooling, career, callings at church, and raising 5 children. She never complained.

Now she is teaching English to Chinese students at Tongi University in Shanghai,China with my dad. They receive countless letters of gratitude of how they are changing lives and encouraging others to become better people. They also served a mission in Johannesburg, South Africa with the Perpetual Education Fund in order to help people get an education and make a better life for themselves. She believes that you can do anything as long as you are willing to put in the WORK. Something that I think I often forget is required in order to achieve success.

My mom has unwavering faith in our Heavenly Father's plan and that it will all work out in time. She knows that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way to complete happiness. She knows that life is not easy for anyone no matter how it may appear. She knows there is hope.

LOVE YOU MOM!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment