Sunday, February 5, 2012

Primary Children's Medical Center

So for the past five weeks, I have been giving up my Saturdays to go up to Primary Children's Medical Center (PCMC) to do nursing clinical rotations there. I had to wake up at 4am every Saturday to get up there for report by 5:30am. It has been one of the roughest but most rewarding experiences. Some nights I would only get 2-4 hours of sleep before I had to get up. It was tough but worth the amazing experiences that I have had there. Every Saturday I come home with a new outlook on life and the experiences that come our way. Children have so much resiliency. I spent my rotations on the infant and child surgical units and then had the opportunity to be on the oncology and immune-compromised (ICS) unit this last week. One of my patients suffered from Leukemia. I was really nervous to go the ICS unit because I thought that I could probably not handle it emotionally. The children there, although severely ill, have so much life and optimism. Everything that I have been worried about in my life seemed to disappear as I realized how much life there is to live and love. I have so much admiration for these little children. It reminded me why I want to be a nurse. It is to help those who cannot help themselves, encourage people to continue on during hard times, and share my love for people, children in particular. I love pediatrics so much and the opportunity I have to interact with these strong, resilient, and forgiving little ones. We often forget that there are more important things in life to be concerned about. But more importantly, wonderful things to live for and appreciate. So grateful for this opportunity. I am going to miss PCMC but not the 4am wake up time!


And since it is Sunday, I have been listening to this song all day. I love it. It is my favorite primary hymn. Thank you to David Archuletta for recording an amazing rendition of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_NXNX3M9as&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment